comp.sys.hp.hpux FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Subject: 1. INTRODUCTION
This article contains the answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) seen
in the Usenet newsgroup comp.sys.hp.hpux. Issues may also be discussed in
comp.sys.hp.apps, comp.sys.hp.misc, and comp.sys.hp.hardware. Discussion
in this document centers around Hewlett-Packard computer systems running
the HP-UX[R] operating system; the focus is on HP-UX 10.20, and later,
running on HP9000 Series 700 workstations and HP9000 Series 800 servers,
though some of the information presented may also apply to earlier
versions of HP-UX, including HP-UX for Series 300, 400, 500, and 600
HP9000 machines. Previous versions of this FAQ contained some information
specific to HP-UX 9.x and earlier; such information has been removed, as
of version 11.11.0105 of the FAQ. This decision was made because HP-UX
versions 10.00 and earlier have been officially classified as obsolete by
HP, as well as to permit greater focus on the more current versions of
HP-UX. The FAQ will be updated every other month or as the maintainer
sees fit, and it will be posted on Usenet once a month.
This FAQ is Copyright (c) 2001-2008, Ian Springer, all rights reserved. It
may be freely redistributed in its entirety, provided that this copyright
notice is not removed. It may not be sold for profit or incorporated in
commercial documents without the written permission of the copyright
holder. Permission is expressly granted for this document to be made
available for file transfer from installations offering unrestricted
anonymous file transfer on the Internet. This article is provided as is,
without any express or implied warranty. While every effort has been
made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this FAQ, the
maintainer and contributors assume no responsibility for errors or
omissions, or for damages resulting from the use of the information
contained herein. The content of this FAQ does not represent the opinions
of the maintainer's employer, contributors' employers, or the Hewlett-
This FAQ is written in "minimal digest format" as described at
For other questions and answers not included in this FAQ, please search
for the answer in the newsgroup archives at <http://groups.google.com/>
Many times, what you want to know has been asked and answered many times
before, and you will get your answer quicker searching through
<http://groups.google.com/>. When searching, include the expression
"group:comp.sys.hp.hpux" along with your keywords to narrow the search
to only comp.sys.hp.hpux.
If you are unable to find the answer to your question in the newsgroup
archives, then go ahead and post your question to comp.sys.hp.hpux.
All feedback is appreciated. Submissions, corrections, comments, and
complaints should be directed to Ian Springer
<hpux DOT faq AT gmail DOT com>.
- News Headers
- 2. TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 3. GENERAL INFORMATION
- 3.1 What does HP-UX stand for?
- 3.2 Where can I find a good overview of HP-UX?
- 3.3 What is the release history of HP-UX?
- 3.4 Where can I find definitions of various HP-UX terms?
- 3.5 What is HP's address and phone number?
- 3.6 How does HP-UX rank among other enterprise Unixes?
- 3.7 How does the Compaq merger affect the HP-UX roadmap?
- 4. RESOURCES
- 4.1 FAQs
- 4.1.1 Where can I get a copy of this FAQ file?
- 4.1.2 What other HP-UX-related FAQs exist?
- 4.2 Web Sites
- 4.2.1 HP Sites
- 184.108.40.206 What is the URL of HP's main web site?
- 220.127.116.11 Where can I browse HP documentation on the Web?
- 18.104.22.168 Where can I get support from HP on the Web?
- 22.214.171.124 Other HP Sites
- 4.2.2 Non-HP Sites
- 126.96.36.199 EnterpriseUnix.org
- 188.8.131.52 EPFL Support HP / HPLine
- 4.3 Newsgroups
- 4.3.1 List of HP-UX-related Usenet newsgroups
- 4.3.2 What is HP's involvement in the HP-related newsgroups?
- 4.3.3 The ITRC HP-UX Forum
- 4.4 Mailing Lists
- 4.4.1 HPUX-Admin Mailing List
- 4.4.2 HP 9000 series 500 Mailing List
- 4.4.3 HPMINI-L Mailing List
- 4.5 Periodicals
- 4.6 Books
- 4.6.1 HP-UX 11.x Books
- 4.6.2 HP-UX 10.x Books
- 4.6.3 HP-UX 10.x/11.x Books
- 4.6.4 CDE Books
- 4.6.5 Books from HP
- 4.6.6 HP Product Manuals
- 4.7 Local Files
- 4.7.1 The HP-UX Reference Manual
- 4.7.2 /usr/share/doc
- 4.8 Conferences and Workshops
- 4.8.1 HP World Conference & Expo
- 4.8.2 HP/Works Technical Workshops
- 4.9 Courses on HP-UX
- 4.9.1 Courses offered by HP
- 4.10 Organizations
- 4.10.1 Organizations within the U.S.
- 184.108.40.206 Interex, The International Association of Hewlett-Packard Computing Professionals
- 220.127.116.11 InterWorks
- 4.10.2 Organizations outside the U.S.
- 18.104.22.168 Interex Netherlands HP User Group (AKA DutchWorks)
- 22.214.171.124 HP/Works
- 126.96.36.199 Japanese HP Computer Users Association
- 4.11 Third-Party Vendors
- 4.11.1 Hewlett-Packard Vendor Listing
- 5. SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION
- 5.1 Auditing and Security
- 5.1.1 How do group privileges work?
- 5.1.2 Why are mail files in /var/mail owned by 'daemon' instead of the recipient?
- 5.1.3 How can I restrict regular users from logging in at the console?
- 5.1.4 How can I disable non-root logins?
- 5.1.5 Where can I find a list of all patches corresponding to security advisories?
- 5.1.6 How can I protect my systems against SATAN?
- 5.1.7 What are the major differences between trusted and non-trusted systems?
- 5.1.8 How can I configure things like minimum password length, password history, and maximum simultaneous logins?
- 5.1.9 What is the sticky bit's purpose?
- 5.1.11 How can I protect my system from viruses?
- 5.1.12 What information is available on configuring HP-UX for maximum security?
- 5.1.13 Does HP-UX support /etc/shadow like Solaris and Linux?
- 5.2 Backup and Recovery
- 5.2.1 Can I put more than one backup on DDS with fbackup?
- 5.2.2 How can I use dump with a DDS tape?
- 5.2.3 Why do cpio/tar/dump/pax all backup to tape painfully slowly?
- 5.2.4 What CD burning software is available?
- 5.3 Disks and Filesystems
- 5.3.1 How can I enable long file names?
- 5.3.2 Is it possible to create a RAM disk?
- 5.3.3 What happened to DUX and context dependent files (CDFs)?
- 5.3.4 Why can't I use all of my swap space?
- 5.3.5 How can I determine which disk is the boot disk?
- 5.3.6 Why does pfs_mount fail with the message 'Not Owner' when I try to use it?
- 5.3.7 What's new with remote mounts and the automounter?
- 5.3.8 Why are CDROM filenames all UPPERCASE with ;1 attached?
- 5.3.9 How can I start the PFS daemons automatically at system startup?
- 5.3.10 Where can I get updated disktab entries for third-party disks?
- 5.3.11 How can I determine whether a disk is bootable?
- 5.3.12 How do I defragment my filesystems?
- 5.4 Display
- 5.4.1 How do I define a new terminal type?
- 5.4.2 How can I change the video mode on my workstation?
- 5.5 Kernel Configuration
- 5.5.1 How can I tell if I have a 32-bit or 64-bit kernel?
- 5.5.2 How do I determine if a system supports a 32 and/or a 64-bit kernel?
- 5.5.3 Where can I find detailed documentation of the various kernel parameters?
- 5.6 Monitors, Diagnostics, and Performance
- 5.6.1 How can I look at what my system is doing?
- 5.6.2 What happened to the sysdiag command?
- 5.6.3 How can I improve overall system performance?
- 5.7 Networking and Communications
- 5.7.1 How can I change the order of hostname resolution?
- 5.7.2 How can I track network packets?
- 5.7.3 How to get the MAC address for a particular network interface?
- 5.7.4 Is there a Transport Level Interface (TLI) interface to TCP on HP-UX?
- 5.7.5 How do I disable IP Forwarding?
- 5.7.6 Why is ifconfig giving me errors when I try to configure my LAN?
- 5.7.7 How do I change the hostname, IP address, DNS Server, etc?
- 5.7.8 How do I determine the speed and duplexity of my network interface?
- 5.7.9 How do I display all active Internet (TCP and UDP) connections?
- 5.7.10 How can multiple IP addresses be configured on one interface?
- 5.7.11 How can I enable the LAN interface on a 700?
- 5.7.12 Where can I get STREAMS for HP-UX?
- 5.7.13 What version of BIND (named) comes with HP-UX?
- 5.7.14 What version of sendmail comes with HP-UX?
- 5.7.15 What version of NFS comes with HPUX?
- 5.7.16 What is the difference between automount and AutoFS?
- 5.7.17 Can I configure multiple network interfaces on the same subnet?
- 5.7.18 Does HP-UX come with a DHCP server?
- 5.8 Peripheral Devices
- 5.8.1 How do I use the floppy drive on my HP-UX workstation?
- 5.8.2 How can I format a floppy under HP-UX?
- 5.8.3 How can I get an Exabyte to work on an HP?
- 5.8.4 How can I get a stuck DDS tape out of the drive?
- 5.8.5 Do I need to terminate the internal SCSI on a 700?
- 5.8.6 How can I play audio CDs on an HP workstation's CD-ROM drive?
- 5.8.7 How can I set up /dev/audio to point to the external jack on a 700?
- 5.8.8 How can I configure the parallel port handshake on a 700?
- 5.8.9 What are the specs of the audio hardware on the 700 series?
- 5.8.10 Is there a trackball for the 700?
- 5.8.11 What keyboards and mice are compatible with HP9000 workstations?
- 5.8.12 How do I change the keyboard type (e.g. from UK to German or vice versa) after HP-UX is already installed?
- 5.8.13 How do I ascertain which device file corresponds to my CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive?
- 5.9 Printers and Plotters
- 5.9.1 What happened to lpr?
- 5.9.2 Why does lpstat report the printer down, even though it's not?
- 5.9.3 How can I turn off the LP banner page?
- 5.9.4 How can I print man pages without losing the formatting?
- 5.10 Process Management
- 5.10.1 How much memory can a process use?
- 5.10.2 Why do my processes keep dying at 64 MB memory usage?
- 5.10.3 How do I set per-process limits?
- 5.10.4 How can I tell what files, ports, etc.. a process has open?
- 5.10.5 How can I get the ps command to display more than 64 characters of process command lines?
- 5.11 Routine Tasks
- 5.11.1 How can I track log files and core files?
- 5.11.2 What's a good strategy for clearing /tmp and /var/tmp?
- 5.12 Software Management
- 5.12.1 General Software Management
- 188.8.131.52 Where can I find out more about Software Distributor (SD-UX)?
- 184.108.40.206 How can I tell what products have been loaded on my system?
- 220.127.116.11 How do I safely remove software from my system?
- 18.104.22.168 How is the unique node ID used for licensing determined?
- 22.214.171.124 What is Ignite-UX?
- 5.12.2 Patch Management
- 126.96.36.199 Where do I get HP-UX patches?
- 188.8.131.52 How can I list all installed patches?
- 184.108.40.206 How can I tell what patches are in the kernel?
- 220.127.116.11 How do I get rid of old 10.x patches or superseded patches?
- 18.104.22.168 How can I install multiple patches, without having to reboot more than once?
- 22.214.171.124 How do I configure swlist to not display superseded patches?
- 126.96.36.199 What is the naming convention used for HP-UX patch names?
- 188.8.131.52 Where can I get OpenView patches?
- 5.13 Time
- 5.13.1 How can I change the timezone?
- 5.13.2 How can I print yesterday's or tomorrow's date?
- 5.13.3 How can I convert a timestamp (seconds since the Epoch) to a date/time string?
- 5.13.4 What is the purpose of the 'timezone' and 'dst' kernel parameters?
- 5.14 Users and Groups
- 5.14.1 How can I tell if I need more than a 2-user license?
- 5.14.2 How can I set up group-based FTP access?
- 5.14.3 Has /etc/logingroup functionality changed in 11.x?
- 5.15 X-Windows and CDE
- 5.15.1 X Window System (X11)
- 184.108.40.206 Where can I get X11R6?
- 220.127.116.11 Where can I get the missing X11 header files?
- 18.104.22.168 How can I set up an HP-UX workstation as an X terminal?
- 22.214.171.124 How do I get a scroll bar on hpterms?
- 126.96.36.199 How can I change the title in my hpterm titlebar?
- 188.8.131.52 Why do my terminal windows keep going away by themselves?
- 184.108.40.206 How can I get console messages to go to an hpterm?
- 220.127.116.11 What's a good termcap entry for hpterm?
- 18.104.22.168 My screen is wedged. What should I do?
- 22.214.171.124 How can I get an X app to come up in an alternate workspace?
- 5.15.2 Common Desktop Environment (CDE)
- 126.96.36.199 What happened to VUE?
- 188.8.131.52 How do I start/stop/reset CDE (dtlogin)?
- 184.108.40.206 How can I enable/disable CDE (dtlogin)?
- 220.127.116.11 Why does id/groups not show secondary groups in dtterm/CDE?
- 18.104.22.168 How can I improve CDE's performance?
- 22.214.171.124 Is there a CDE FAQ?
- 126.96.36.199 When I log on to CDE, I want certain applications to automatically start. How can this be done ?
- 188.8.131.52 How do I get cut-n-paste to work correctly with CDE?
- 184.108.40.206 Why do NCD X-terminals hang when trying to connect via XDMCP to an HP-UX 10.20 host running CDE?
- 6.1 General
- 6.1.1 What threads support is provided?
- 6.1.2 What's the deal with _INCLUDE_xxxx_SOURCE?
- 6.1.3 Where can I find a list of all available system calls?
- 6.1.4 How can I tell if something was built debuggable?
- 6.1.5 Why is syslog() call not doing what i want it to?
- 6.1.6 How can I get C programs to automatically generate stack dumps?
- 6.1.7 HP C++ email discussion lists
- 6.1.8 HP-UX development email discussion lists
- 6.2 Compiling and Linking
- 6.2.1 Why is the default C compiler brain-dead?
- 6.2.2 How do I make Perl on HP-UX?
- 6.2.3 How do I deal with "too many defines"?
- 6.2.4 Why do I get "_builtin_va_start" undefined when I build with gcc?
- 6.2.5 Is there some kind of problem with using FLT_MIN in ANSI mode?
- 6.2.6 Why do I get the error "*Initialization*:1: missing token-sequence in `#assert'" when I compile with gcc?
- 6.2.7 How can I detect the HP-UX version at compile time?
- 6.3 Porting
- 6.3.1 Porting from an Earlier Release of HP-UX
- 6.3.2 Porting from Other Platforms (Solaris, AIX, etc..)
- 6.3.3 How do I know if binaries built on a one release of HP-UX are compatible with a different release of HP-UX?
- 6.4 Tools
- 6.4.1 Where can I get Interviews for HP-UX?
- 6.4.2 Is there a disassembler included with HP-UX?
- 7.1.1 HP Freeware
- 220.127.116.11 Patches
- 18.104.22.168 Drivers
- 22.214.171.124 I heard there is a new ftpd available. Where do I get it?
- 126.96.36.199 HPRC FTP Site
- 188.8.131.52 GNOME
- 7.1.2 Non-HP Freeware
- 184.108.40.206 The Software Porting And Archive Centre for HP-UX
- 220.127.116.11 InterWorks FTP site
- 18.104.22.168 Netperf
- 22.214.171.124 SLIP and CSLIP
- 126.96.36.199 PPP
- 188.8.131.52 SMTP
- 184.108.40.206 POP and IMAP
- 220.127.116.11 Sudo
- 18.104.22.168 Ntalk
- 22.214.171.124 TTCP
- 126.96.36.199 Free SCSI utilities for HP-UX workstations
- 188.8.131.52 PSCREEN/uX
- 184.108.40.206 GNU software
- 220.127.116.11 Web browsers
- 18.104.22.168 Miscellaneous freeware
- 22.214.171.124 RealAudio Player
- 126.96.36.199 CD Burning Software
- 7.2 Shareware
- 7.3.1 HP Commercial Software
- 188.8.131.52 Where can I find release histories for various HP software products?
- 184.108.40.206 Where can I find a list of all applications that are available for HP-UX?
- 7.3.2 Non-HP Commercial Software
- 220.127.116.11 Is there anything remotely like the Apollo DM editor available?
- 8. MISCELLANEOUS
- 8.1 How can I find the HP-UX equivalent for a given Solaris/AIX/etc.. command?
- 8.2 What do I need to do to make my HP-UX system Year 2000 compliant?
- 8.3 How do I boot into single user mode?
- 8.4 How can I send mail to an MPE/iX HPDESK address?
- 8.5 How can I limit core files?
- 8.6 How do I disable the Caps Lock key?
- 8.7 Why does my Korn shell login hang?
- 8.8 How can I avoid those annoying copyright notices on login?
- 8.9 How can I turn off quota checking?
- 8.10 Why can't I start Aserver?
- 8.11 How can I get a daemon to successfully start from an rc script?
- 8.12 How do I convert the uname string to a model string?
- 8.13 Is Perl included with HP-UX?
- 8.14 Why can't I type an '@' character?
- 8.15 Why can't I get my machine into boot admin mode?
- 8.16 What happened to "less"?
- 8.17 What should go in my PATH and MANPATH environment variables?
- 8.18 Why does the 10.x/11.x cksum command produce a different checksum than the 9.x cksum command?
- 8.19 Can I run Linux on an HP9000 system?
- 8.20 Can I run *BSD on an HP9000 system?
- 8.21 What happened to /usr/local? What are these /usr/contrib and /opt directories?
- 8.22 Is it OK to change root's shell?
- 8.23 Why does HP-UX 10 generate copious "Sti_save" syslog messages?
- 8.24 How can I tell which kernel was booted?
- 8.25 What is the equivalent of ldd under HP-UX?
- 8.26 How do I configure a program to automatically start up or shutdown when the system starts up or shuts down?
- 8.27 How can I do regular expression matching?
- 8.28 How can I play MP3s?
- 8.29 How can I use audio on HP-UX 10.x/11.x without a network?
- 8.30 Is there a tool to trace system calls?
- 8.31 What OS capacity limits exist?
- 8.32 How can I determine how much RAM my system has?
- 8.33 What are the various revisions of PA-RISC?
- 8.34 How do I find the clock speed of my system's CPU(s)?
- 8.35 How can I view/print PDF files?
- 8.36 How do I read an SGI-written tar format DDS tape?
- 8.37 Is the Euro supported?
- 8.38 How can I view various Windows-format files (Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, etc..) on an HP-UX system?
- 8.39 How is the system load average, as reported by the uptime and top commands, calculated?
- 8.40 Where can I get HP9000 firmware updates?
- 8.41 Where can I look up HP part numbers?
- 8.42 How can I create a /dev/zero special file?
- 8.43 Why is tail's output truncated for large amounts of input?
- 8.44 What commands or scripts exist for gathering and summarizing system information?
- 8.45 How can I convert numbers from one base to another?
- 8.46 What are the machine ID and serial number used for?
- 8.47 How can I tell what commands SAM is executing under the hood?
- 8.48 How can I view a file in octal or hexadecimal?
- 8.49 How do I configure the kernel to write corefiles as core.?
- 8.50 How do I analyze a system crash dump?
- 8.51 Is HP-UX free for non-profit users (students, hobbyists, etc..)?
- 8.52 Where can I obtain a free HP-UX shell account?
- 8.53 How do I grep for an exact word as with "grep -w" in Linux?
- 9. ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- 9.1 Contributors
- 9.2 Trademarks