Frequently Asked Questions on Soc.Culture.Jewish
Part 6: Jewish Thought
[Last Post: Fri Apr 2 11:07:16 US/Pacific 2004]
The FAQ is a collection of documents that is an attempt to answer
questions that are continually asked on the soc.culture.jewish family
of newsgroups. It was written by cooperating laypeople from the
various Judaic movements. You should not make any assumption as to
accuracy and/or authoritativeness of the answers provided herein. In
all cases, it is always best to consult a competent authority--your
local rabbi is a good place to start.
[Got Questions?] Hopefully, the FAQ will provide the answer to your
questions. If it doesn't, please drop Email to
firstname.lastname@example.org. The FAQ maintainer will endeavor to direct
your query to an appropriate individual that can answer it. If you
would like to be part of the group to which the maintainer directs
questions, please drop a note to the FAQ maintainer at
The deceased sages described within are of blessed memory, (assume a
Z"L or ZT"L after their names) and the sages alive today should live
to see long and good days (assume SHLITA). May Hashem grant complete
recovery to the ill. Individual honorifics are omitted.
The FAQ was produced by a committee and is a cooperative work. The
contributors never standardized on transliteration scheme from Hebrew,
Aramaic, Yiddish, or Ladino to English. As a result, the same original
word might appear with a variety of spellings. This is complicated by
the fact that there are regional variations in the pronunciation of
Hebrew. In some places, the common spelling variations are mentioned;
in others--not. We hope that this is not too confusing.
In general, throughout this FAQ, North American (US/Canada) terms are
used to refer to the movements of Judaism. Outside of North American,
Reform is Progressive or Liberal Judaism; Conservative is Masorti or
Neolog, and Orthodoxy is often just "Judaism". Even with this, there
are differences in practice, position, and ritual between US/Canada
Reform and other progressive/liberal movements (such as UK
Progressive/ Liberal), and between US/Canada Conservative and the
conservative/Masorti movement elsewhere. Where appropriate, these
differences will be highlighted.
The goal of the FAQ is to present a balanced view of Judaism; where a
response is applicable to a particular movement only, this will be
noted. Unless otherwise noted or implied by the text, all responses
reflect the traditional viewpoint.
This list should be used in conjunction with the Soc.Culture.Jewish
reading lists. Similar questions can be found in the books
referenced in those lists.
There are also numerous other Jewish FAQs available on the Internet
that are not part of the SCJ FAQ/RL suite. An index to these may be
found at www.scjfaq.org/otherfaqs.html
This FAQ is a volunteer effort. If you wish to support the maintenance
of the FAQ, please see Section 20, Question 99 for more
Reproduction of this posting for commercial use is subject to
restriction. See Part 1 for more details.
- News Headers
- Question 12.1: What is the Jewish concept of G-d? Do Jews think of G-d as an angry old man with a long white beard?
- Question 12.2: Can one doubt G-d's existence and still be a good Jew?
- Question 12.3: Does modern science (e.g., "big bang" theory, evolution, the age of the world) contradict traditional readings of
- Question 12.4: Does modern science contradict liberal readings of the Torah?
- Question 12.5: Can one be Orthodox and a scientist too?
- Question 12.6: I've heard that Jews consider themselves "chosen." What does that mean?
- Question 12.7: What is the Jewish concept of the Messiah?
- Question 12.8: What do Jews say happens when a person dies? Do Jews believe in reincarnation? In hell or heaven? Purgatory?
- Question 12.9: What was the job of a prophet?
- Question 12.10: It seems that prophecy was once central to Judaism; why don't we have prophets today?
- Question 12.11: Who were the prophets? How many?
- Question 12.12: What is the Jewish view on the question of "free will."
- Question 12.13: What about angels, demons, miracles, and the supernatural?
- Question 12.14: What do Jews hope/expect of the future?
- Question 12.15: How can Jews reject (insert true belief here)?
- Question 12.16: Why do Jews need organized religion or Jewish laws? Isn't it good enough to be a good person? How about gentiles?
- Question 12.17: How does Judaism differ from Xianity, Marxism, Communism, Humanism and other -isms?
- Question 12.18: Where can a Gentile learn about Judaism?
- Question 12.19: What does Judaism say about non-Jews and their role? What does G-d demands of gentiles to get to Olam Ha'aba ["The World-
- Question 12.20: What do Jews believe about Good and Evil?
- Question 12.21: What is the Jewish position on Capital Punishment?
- Question 12.22: What is the Jewish position on communicating with the dead?
- Question 12.23: What is the significance and importance of suffering and punishment in Judaism?
- Question 12.24: Why are there different names for G-d?
- Question 12.25: What is the "Book of Life"?
- Question 12.26: How does one atone for sins?
- Question 12.27: What does Judaism say about the punishments in the Torah?
- Question 12.28: What does the Torah mean by Abomination?
- Question 12.29: Why does the Torah talk about Other Gods?
- Question 12.30: What is the purpose of life? Why did G-d create man?
- Question 12.31: How does tithing work in Judaism?
- Question 12.32: Does Judaism permit organ donation?
- Question 12.33: Is numerology part of Jewish Mysticism?
- Question 12.34: What is Jewish thought on Gog and Magog?
- Question 12.35: What does Judaism believe about Satan?
- Question 12.36: In Judaism, what are some of the laws related to gleaning and tithing for the poor?
- Question 12.37: What is the Jewish view of Salvation, i.e., how a person from a given religion is ''saved''?
- Question 12.38: Can a Jew donate blood?
- Question 12.39: How does halacha, the messiah, and the prophets affect the daily life of a Jew?
- Question 12.40: What must one do to lead "a good life" in Judaism?
- Question 12.41: I've heard about 36 taddiks?
- Question 12.42: What is the theological understanding regarding the affect of the expulsion from Eden?
- How do I obtain copies of the FAQ?
- Who Wrote the FAQ?
[ Usenet FAQs | Web FAQs | Documents | RFC Index ]
Send corrections/additions to the FAQ Maintainer:
SCJ FAQ Maintainer <email@example.com>
Last Update March 27 2014 @ 02:11 PM