FAQ Maintainers Mailing List
Re: [faq-maintainers] The Future of FAQ Posting

---------

From: Pam Greene (pamg@alumni.rice.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 15:09:29 CST

>From: "Henk P. Penning" <henkp@cs.uu.nl>
> There are more dead faqs, some are even syntactically incorrect.
> I care because I archive the stuff auto magically.
>
> dead : cryptography-faq/rsa/part1
>
> Last-modified: 1997/05/21, a 10 line pointer faq

As a side comment, lack of updates does not necessarily mean a dead FAQ.
The Ferret FAQ hasn't been touched since early 1998, but the information in
it is still valid and useful and I've gotten no complaints. If I weren't
running postfaq myself, I'd want the autposter to keep posting it for me.

>From: Steve Summit <scs@eskimo.com>
>Finally, there's a stark reality to be faced here: even
>reimplementing the old moderation mechanisms using newer
>web-based methodologies, let alone implementing brand-new
>mechanisms to lighten the moderation load still further by
>letting FAQ list maintainers do more things themselves, would
>require a reasonably large development effort.

Kent Landfield keeps trying to get something going. It's a big task, as
you've guessed -- as big as setting the current system up in the first
place was, plus all the additions of the ensuing years. The trouble is, I
think, that the person who redesigns the moderation routine needs specs and
help from someone who's done it and knows what it should accomplish. That
brings us right back where we started.

>From: "Ping Huang" <pshuang@alum.mit.edu>
>The tools
>for *.answers moderation could be better, too, but I think the number
>of active moderators is the real crux there for the moment.

... and has been the problem, with no offense intended to the generous
volunteers we have had, since about 6 months after I started in 1995 -- and
I'd wager it's what prompted Ping to recruit me and my fellow moderators
then, too.

Of course, redoing the mechanism so the learning curve wasn't so steep
would let the moderators bring in new volunteers with a much lower time
investment, which would certainly be a good thing.

- Pam Greene
ex-member of the *.answers moderation team