FAQ Maintainers Mailing List
[faq-maintainers] OT: Re: list Reply-To: settings! (reply privately!!)

---------

From: nagasiva (nagasiva@luckymojo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 21:39:40 CST

please do not respond to this in the mail list. my preference is that any

> The operative question, it seems to me, is whether it is likely that a
> person giving a useful response to an inquiry on FAQ maintenance is going
> to be unaware of, or unable to control, where her or his response is sent.

I think the votes made directly to the list after Kent's request that they
be sent to votes@faqs.org should count precisely for the OPPOSITE of what
they indicate, because I dislike the conversation occurring in the list.
others have already adroitly indicated that every post of a 'vote' is an
indicator of the need for reply-to: poster.

I think the problem can be solved quite easily by making it very apparent
that reply-to: poster is the policy of the list. the only reason that I
accidentally sent it to the poster rather than the list was because I was
not aware that this list was set up in this manner (once I learned this I
never made the mistake again).

> My guess, on this list, is that this is unlikely: the only responses sent
> "by accident" directly to a poster instead of the list, will be of the
> "yeah me too" variety.

that wasn't the case for me, once. thus I ask for clearer representation
to the new user (this thread will have alerted the rest of us).

> Obviously on other lists this will not be the case,
> and on those (including many that I run) the default is the other way.

mine too.

> Anyway, I sent my vote... it would be interesting to see how many votes
> come into Kent's personal mailbox instead of the address he gave :)

I refuse to vote, considering it simultaneously Kent's decision and
extremely off-topic for a FAQ-discussion list (meta-discussion).

nagasiva@luckymojo.com