FAQ Maintainers Mailing List
[faq-maintainers] requiring effort to post (was question about the list)

---------

From: Brian Edmonds (brian@gweep.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 18:48:37 CST

Tom Neff <tneff@grassyhill.org> writes:
> The operative question, it seems to me, is whether it is likely that a
> person giving a useful response to an inquiry on FAQ maintenance is
> going to be unaware of, or unable to control, where her or his
> response is sent.

I believe it *should* require at least a minimal extra effort to post to
a mailing list. After all, you're sending mail to anywhere from dozens
to thousands of people, so you should at the very least stop and think
about what you're doing long enough to be able to get the To/Cc headers
right.

Likewise and moreso for things such as trimming quoted material,
proofreading, and using meaningful subject lines. Saving a few seconds
for the poster while requiring a few extra seconds per recpient is not
the right equilibrium.

Brian.