FAQ Maintainers Mailing List
Re: [faq-maintainers] Re: What format?

---------

From: Stephan Schulz (schulz@informatik.tu-muenchen.de)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 18:08:36 CDT

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 10:48:57PM +0200, Robert Green wrote:

> Is there a good source to get started with LaTeX ? I
> did a web search today and couldn't find any leads,
> but it sounds likes it might be a good avenue to
> follow, if there is a starting point I could go to to
> learn more, I'd much appreciate it.

I am fairly certain there are some good web tutorials. However, I
learned LaTeX about two years before I ever heard about this fancy and
mostly useless "XMosaic" program ;-)

"LaTeX : A Documentation Preparation System User's Guide and Reference
 Manual" by Leslie Lamport is the standard reference.

Many people seem to prefer

"A Guide to LATEX: Document Preparation for Beginners and Advanced
 Users" by Helmut Kopka and Patrick W. Daly

I like "The Latex Companion", by Michel Goossens, Frank Mittelbach and
Alexander Samarin. However, this is more of a reference book and less
useful as an introduction.

Finally, there is a program called Lyx (with a KDE version KLyx) for
Linux and (probably) other Unices that is higly acclaimed for doing
semi-WYSIWYG LaTeX editing. You can find it at http://www.lyx.org/ and
http://ettrich.priv.no/klyx/klyx.html, respectively.

Bye,

    Stephan