Re: Looking at were we are...

---------

Edward Reid (edward@paleo.org)
Sat, 22 May 99 19:01:12 -0400

Thamer Al-Herbish writes:
> I have to admit that I intentionally don't mention going to rtfm. I
> mention the newsgroups and the web page. Somehow I think I'm doing
> the people at rtfm a small favor by taking off some of the load. Do
> we really want to send everyone who wants to read FAQs to rtfm?
> Maybe five years ago that could have been handled, but there are far
> too many users now.

I haven't heard anyone connected with RTFM indicate that
load on that host is a problem. It seems to handle all
requests quickly, unlike a few years ago. The archive there
is ftp only, not http.

Similarly Kent hasn't indicated a problem with load at
faqs.org.

Personally I think it's very important to refer to the
news.answers archives, rtfm.mit.edu and faqs.org both.
Someone sees and follows my reference to one of them,
notices that it's not the only FAQ there, reads some of the
others, tells a couple of friends to look there for FAQs
... no point in losing any chance to publicize what we are
all talking about here.

Edward Reid

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved