Re: getting newsgroup readers to look at an FAQ

---------

Imran Ghory (imrang@btinternet.com)
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 09:46:48 +0000

On 18 Mar 99 at 21:53, John Novak wrote:
> Danny Faught:
>
> > I'd say greeting practices have a big impact, and shouldn't be swept
> > under the rug so easily. For comp.software.testing, we have an
> > improvement effort underway, and we're experimenting with using a
> > defined list of subject tags. Volunteers are monitoring the newsgroup
> > and sending email when someone posts a message with the realm of one
> > of the subject tags but doesn't use the tag. The response from
> > newsgroup participants has been encouraging,
>
> We considered using a 'bot to scan for new posters, but the idea
> (thankfully) was shouted down as being impersonal, in your face, and
> more than slightly insulting.

IIRC. alt.kids-talk use's an automated system which sends new poster
a welcome message with pointers to FQs and the like.

Imran

--
'God eternally geometrizes' - Plato

Email: ImranG@btinternet.com URL: http://members.xoom.com/ImranG/ (Lands of Terry Brooks)

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved