Re: getting newsgroup readers to look at an FAQ

---------

Rubywand (rubywand@swbell.net)
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 07:14:17 -0600

> On 18 Mar 99 at 21:53, John Novak wrote:
> > Danny Faught:
> >
> > > I'd say greeting practices have a big impact, and shouldn't be swept
> > > under the rug so easily. For comp.software.testing, we have an
> > > improvement effort underway, and we're experimenting with using a
> > > defined list of subject tags. Volunteers are monitoring the newsgroup
> > > and sending email when someone posts a message with the realm of one
> > > of the subject tags but doesn't use the tag. The response from
> > > newsgroup participants has been encouraging,
> >
> > We considered using a 'bot to scan for new posters, but the idea
> > (thankfully) was shouted down as being impersonal, in your face, and
> > more than slightly insulting.
>
> IIRC. alt.kids-talk use's an automated system which sends new poster
> a welcome message with pointers to FQs and the like.
>
> Imran

This can be a tricky issue. For comp.sys.apple2, the FAQs is both an
information resource and a kind of unifying institution for Apple II users. It
needs to answer questions and, also, to 'look good'.

Putting this another way, the FAQs, mainly, need to 'be there' whether or
not they are frequently consulted. And, since they must be there, they need to
be seen as comprehensive, accurate, easy to use, ... by anyone who happens to
check them.

A fair chunk of the questions posted to the newsgroup are answered in the
FAQs. It would be possible to respond to these questions with "See the FAQs".
Or, many of these postings could be headed off by ideas such as those mentioned
above and a more aggressive effort at promoting the FAQs.

The problem with strong efforts at FAQs promotion is that, if successful,
you can end up discouraging newsgroup participation. For many newbies, their
intro to a newsgroup is having a question to ask or an answer to give. Once
involved, they branch out to expressing opinions on issues, posting ideas for
projects, etc..

We need to balance FAQs promotion with the welfare of the newsgroup which,
after all, depends upon a fair share of "dumb questions".

Rubywand

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved