Re: Very off-the-wall suggestion re pointers to web FAQs

---------

Pamela Greene (pgreene@optics.rochester.edu)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:37:31 -0500 (EST)

Charles MacDonald wrote:

> The first thing that come to mind was to establish a "standard" that if
> someone were to post a pointer to an FAQ, rather than their FAQ that they
> be told to append "pointers" to the archive name.. Thus if their FAQ had
> an archive name of rec/sports/foo they would use an archive name of
> pointers/rec/sports/foo when they posted the "the FAQ for the group can be
> found at www.playfoo.org/faq" message. All the rest of the headers would
> be the same as for a normal FAQ posting, including the approval lines.
>
> The effect would be that the text version of the actual FAQ would not be
> overwritten by the pointer posting, but instead the pointer messages would
> end up in the archive on a "pointers" sub-directory, where they would be
> "out of the way".

Currently that problem is solved by having the full FAQ posted to all
its groups plus *.answers, and the pointer posted only to the "home"
newsgroups. Realistically, I'd guess hardly anyone actually looks in
news.answers for a FAQ, so if neither the full FAQ nor the pointer is
available from there for a short time it isn't a huge problem. One or
the other is available from the home groups all the time.

--
- Pam Greene
one of the *.answers moderators

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved