Re: future of RTFM *.answers archives

---------

Pamela Greene (pgreene@optics.rochester.edu)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:33:31 -0500 (EST)

> > From: Kent Landfield <kent@landfield.com>
> > Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:50:32 -0600 (CST)
> >
> > # Does rtfm allow a FAQ to be archived even if it isn't posted? Or
> > # maybe I'm just thinking of the offer to list in the LoPiP a FAQ that
> > # doesn't get posted.

No to both. An FAQ can be listed in the LoPIP if it isn't posted to
*.answers, but it still has to be posted somewhere. The rtfm.mit.edu
archive stores files directly from the incoming news feed, so a file
has to be posted to be stored.

Likewise, the faq-server's files are not available by FTP. All the
faq-server does is post files; the FTP archive then grabs them from
the news feed just like any other articles.

--
- Pam Greene
one of the *.answers moderators

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved