Re: FAQ postings mistaken for Supersedes (HipCrime) attacks?

---------

Ralf Doeblitz (doeblitz@gmx.de)
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 22:27:57 +0100

On Sat, Oct 24, 1998 at 07:36:01AM -0700, Anthony Argyriou wrote:
[...]
> Are your biweekly miniFAQs (and FAQ pointers) really
> being updated every three days? I imagine that such a high
> frequency is required because of the short purge times on
> so many news-servers. Why not forgo the "Supersedes" header
> except when there is an update?

Because then there would be multiple instances of the FAQ in the news
spool when the server's expire is set to keep FAQs around for a
reasonable timespan. Right now news.answers takes up about 90MB on my
system, having multiple instances of each FAq would increase storage
requirements significantly.

Also, the *.answers groups would be less readable if there were multiple
instances of the FAQs in the groups. If you were searching for a
speicifc topic you would get multiple hits that reference just different
instances of the same FAQ.

I can see only disadvantages if you don't use Supersedes:.

Ralf

--
Ralf Döblitz, Schapenstr. 6, 38104 Braunschweig, Germany
mailto:r.doeblitz@tu-bs.de     Phone/Fax: +49-531-360923

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved