Re: Public Access NNTP server?

---------

Terry Ortman (tort@gmx.net)
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 02:19:01 -0500

At 12:55 AM 10/13/98, you wrote:
>At 11:12 PM 10/12/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>>I'm having some problems with my primary news server with my ISP.
>>
>You could try http://www.talkway.com - it pretends to be a big virtual
>community, with lots of buzzwords, and "friendly" names instead of Usenet
>names like alt.fan.harrison-ford (you can choose Usenet names).

I replied in email, but if this helps anyone else. There are several
Public News Server Lists on the net, this one seems to be the most current.

In the below, after group= type in the name of the newsgroup you want.
ALthough not all public news servers let you post, this is one way to find
news servers that carry the newsgroups you are looking for. Enter it once,
then bookmark it, that way it will always list each of the news servers
with that group if the ones you choose stop working...

I have like 57 Public News Servers stored in Netscape, as they stop being
public, I find a new one and add them..

http://www.jammed.com/newzbot-cgi-bin/group-search.pl?group=

An example, say you wanted to find a news server for news.answers, then you
would click on this link:

http://www.jammed.com/newzbot-cgi-bin/group-search.pl?group=news.answers

You'll probably get every public news server in existence for that one,
since it seems to be carried by every news server.

Hope this helps.

Are you paying more than $9.95 a month for internet access?

Are you paying for more than 2 Meg of Web Space for your pages?

Local Unlimited Internet Access with FREE 10 MEG Web Page, only $9.95 a month.
National ISP, over 3000 Local Dial-Up Accounts Across the USA. 800 number
service
available in areas without local dialup access.

http://members.xoom.com/tort/vti.htm

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved