FAQ Maintainers Mailing List
Re: [faq-maintainers] question about the list...

---------

From: Ru Igarashi (ru@nucleus.usask.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 19:56:16 CST

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Tom Neff wrote:

> I think this list is more useful as a reply-to-poster "inquiry list" than
> as a reply-to-list "chat list." Most of the people who have useful replies
> to contribute will know exactly where they're sending. Everybody here has
> better things to do than watch bandwidth wasted.

The reason I'm subscribed is to read the responses to inquiries,
not to make inquiries nor to answer them. I don't want replies
sent only to the poster, because more often than not I don't
know the answers myself and I'd like to see them. It's not
a question of chat-list vs inquiry-list, it's about information
dissemination and monitoring for accuracy. Personal stuff can
go private, but if there is some technical information involved,
even if it is specific to an individual, it's useful (e.g. as
an example), unless it's inaccurate (in which case, it's open
for correction if posted to the list).

That means I prefer replies to the list, if it comes to a vote.

Oh, a side effect of my usage of this list is that I don't post
to it often enough to have remembered settting up anything special
for it (e.g. aliases) or to remember to watch out who the
reply-to is set to on those rare times I do respond. From
my perspective, the reply to poster a pain in the rear.

ru