FAQ Maintainers Mailing List
Re: [faq-maintainers] question about the list...

---------

From: Jose Pina Coelho (bofh@clix.pt)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 18:05:34 CST

Ralf Döblitz wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 10:10:16AM +0000, Charles Lindsey wrote:
> [...]
> > Well I vote for Reply-To set to the list (since this is primarily a
> > discussion list).
>
> And I vote against any Reply-To munging. Just get yourself a real
> mailreader, set up your mailing list subscriptuions in it and all is
> well. If you don't want to do that, don't keep other people from using
> Reply-To for exactly the purpose it was designed for.

I too vote for standard Reply-To.

The fact that the subject is [faq-maintainers] tells me I'm looking at a list.

The point that Steve makes on
is quite valid.

As to a real reader, I use 3 mailreaders, two of them also as newsreaders.
It's pretty much a question of personal taste.

I too think that a preference for non-programmable mailreaders isn't argument
enough to pervert the standard.

We aren't trying to build traffic here, we're here to help each other but the
point about mistakenly sending a personal message to the list is IMHO the
more important.

Besides, creating a 4 letter alias for the list address isn't that hard,
whereas digging the headers for a X-ReplyTo would be quite a pain.