FAQ Maintainers Mailing List
Re: [faq-maintainers] Political spam?

---------

From: Edward Reid (edward@paleo.org)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 23:46:04 CST

At 11:51 PM +0000 01/16/01, David Harley wrote:
>I didn't keep it. Wasn't it from a hotmail account?

Only sort of. Remember that the From is easily forged, and on spam is
virtually always forged. The headers were, in part,

Spamcop (http://spamcop.net) analyzes the first Received as indicating
an open relay at Hotmail and says it's already been reported to ORBS,
though I'd say possibly it was instead used by a validated Hotmail
user. (Does Hotmail accept outgoing mail by SMTP, or only by web? I
don't know.) The second Received contains no IP address and thus is
fake. The third Received is likely the true origin. Spamcop reports it
to ORBS in case it's an open relay and recommends sending complaints to

   postmaster@kkf.com

(sorry, annie, I got confused and sent you a different address earlier
-- I hope that postmaster forgives me).

If you want to see the gory details of how Spamcop arrived at this --
and it is indeed gory -- see the parsing record from my submission at

   http://spamcop.net/sc?id=15484075&crc=164550

I have found Spamcop to be far more accurate in identifying the
responsible party for complaints than my manual efforts, at less than
1% of the time required. Spammers, open relays, and
direct-SMTP-from-dialup connections ARE getting shut down daily, and
due to heightened awareness few new ones are coming up. Reporting spam
is having a positive effect -- and you would have had a hard time, two
years ago, convincing me that was possible. The few seconds it takes to
report spam using Spamcop is, I think, well worth the effort.

Edward Reid