FAQ Maintainers Mailing List
Re: [faq-maintainers] Spam sent to FAQ address

---------

From: Stef Maruch (stef@cat-and-dragon.com)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 11:05:13 CDT

Denis McKeon (DMckeon@swcp.com) wrote:

>> 1. Procmail, Procmail, Procmail.
>
>If you want to explore past the basic !^(To|Cc):.*me@myhost.example, see:
>
>http://www.spambouncer.org/ The Spam Bouncer: a Procmail-Based Spam Filter
>
>I recently replaced 5 years' worth of homebrew procmail scripts with
>filtering based on spambouncer, and it was well worth the few hours it
>took to set it up & tune it.

I recommend spambouncer too. I get spam in my inbox approximately once a
month. The rest gets filtered to various folders or /dev/null.

>Anecdotal evidence suggests that posting with:
>
> From: blackhole@spamtrap.example
>
>will reduce spam from people using NNTP XOver to extract addresses from
>>From headers only, while still allowing people using news user agents to
>reply. OTOH

Yes, I've been using this strategy for years and I get very little spam
to my reply-to address. (Which is also different from the address on my
FAQs.)

>, using a non-replayable From like:
>
> From: bogus@non-existent.invalid
>
>seems to touch a number of traditional nerves, annoys respondents with
>bounces, annoys postpersons with non-existent hosts & domains, and may
>impact your net.karma adversely (and I risk a flame-fest by even
>mentioning it - please help avert global cyber-warming.)

True, but less likely to annoy people if you are using a valid reply-to.

--
Stef  **  rational/scientific/philosophical/mystical/magical/kitty  **
      **  stef@cat-and-dragon.com <*> http://www.bayarea.net/~stef  **