FAQ Maintainers Mailing List
Re: [faq-maintainers] Plea for Suspension of FAQ Auto-Posting

---------

From: David Alex Lamb (dalamb@cs.queensu.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 07:25:49 CST

By the time I saw your note on Friday morning, someone apparently suspended
the greaseman-faq already. I suspended C-faq/learn and
cryptography-faq/rsa/part1; removing a dead FAQ from the LoPIP will have to
wait.

Briefly, the news.answers situation is as follows: About 2.5 years ago Pam
Greene went into thesis mode; Pam had done her job by finding and training me,
but when I became sole moderator it hadn't occurred to me to train
replacements. About 2 years ago I went on full disability leave for chronic
depression. We advertised for, and found, five new moderators. In those 2
years, though, I've managed only about 4 hours for training (2 each for 2 of
the 5, not enough for them to become independent yet). At the moment more
training depends on me being alert enough to train people at times when
they're available, and advance planning is impossible. I manage only about
1-2 hours per month for routine (near-autopilot) news.answers handling as it
is; training requires more alertness than that.

If there are former news.answers moderators on the list who can help train new
people, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.