Re: followup to Edward Reid's message

---------

Pamela Greene (pgreene@optics.rochester.edu)
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 10:20:52 -0500 (EST)

era wrote:

> There are several good publically available Procmail spam filters
> which you should be able to plonk in and forget.

I'm sure that'd be a good start, but remember that what we consider
"junk mail" and what most people call spam are different. We need to
filter out not only the usual advertisements and chain letters, but
also everything else that isn't a true moderation request.

We get lots of questions unrelated to moderation, replies to FAQs,
tests, requests to subscribe and unsubsribe from the newsgroup, and so
on. We try to catch them and auto-reply with appropriately helpful
messages, but our filters are dliberately pretty liberal to avoid
missing a valid request. It's been a couple of years since they were
given a real overhaul, though, and they could probably be tightened up
a bit.

--
- Pam Greene
mostly inactive member of the *.answers moderation team

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved