Re: Looking at were we are...

---------

Angela Boyko (neptune@surfcity.nb.ca)
Sat, 22 May 1999 01:02:09

At 09:59 PM 5/21/1999 -0500, you wrote:

>:) By stating what you just did you told the reader to go to the web
>first. :-) You could have said get it from rtfm.mit.edu but you didn't.
>In the perception of the reader is appears you prefer the web over the
>Usenet distribution. That was my point.

I'd like to gently point out that to many of the newbies, using a URL
browser is soooo much easier and familiar. I've been connected to the Net
long enough to remember there was such a thing as Gopher being widely used
and Netscape Navigator was new and untested. But to someone who just
decided to leap online, there are so many foreign terms and programs that
it is kinder to keep it simple.

It is not our job as FAQ maintainers to educate the newbie as to all the
different ways to access information. I find it much easier to point the
newbie to a URL then to say, "Hey, there is this archive that is really
cool and ...".

Angela

* From New Brunswick, Canada, eh? Via neptune@surfcity.nb.ca AIM: ochfd42
* Visit my Vera-Ellen web page!
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4439/vera_ellen.html
* alt.fan.harrison-ford FAQ: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4439/ford_faq.html
* May the Force Be With You

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved