Re: Using SGML for FAQs

---------

Gary Robson (gary@robson.org)
Tue, 11 May 1999 08:45:06 -0700

At 10:03 AM 5/11/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Why don't you let Word number the sections, questions and create the
>TOC?

I have encountered so many bugs and glitches in the way Word handles and
exports its automatically numbered paragraphs that it simply isn't worth
the trouble of fighting with it. Instead, I just insert a token that means
"start of section" and another token that means "start of question" and I
don't have to worry about Word screwing it up.

I've been using MS-Word since version 1.0 on the Macintosh, and it seems
every rev is buggier. As soon as I have some time to really familiarize
myself with it, I'm moving all my word processing over to WordPerfect on my
Linux machine. Hopefully, it'll be more stable.

>The AScToHTM 3.0 application looks promising - that will probably be the
>way I'll go for the time being.

It, too, has a couple of bugs, but they're simple and easy to work around.
I like the fact that he provides a fully-licensed copy free for FAQ
maintainers.

-=- Gary -=-

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved