Re: future of RTFM *.answers archives

---------

Gerald E. Boyd (gboyd@netcom.com)
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:04:34 -0800

At 11:47 AM 3/23/1999 -0800, Thamer Al-Herbish wrote the following:

>The only reason I find to post a FAQ to the actual newsgroup is so
>that the newbie will pick it up while reading the newsgroup. As for
>its availability, a webpage is doing that job just fine. It would be
>nice if we could update the FAQs without neccesarily posting it
>completely and just post pointers. After all, who doesn't have web
>access these days? (*duck*)

Millions of users around the world. I deal with 3000+ at a time on the
ACCMAIL list.
Too many people think that everybody has web access but I know for a
fact that most of the 3rd world doesn't.

Things are just fine at the FAQ archives as is. E-mail only access is
how most of my users get the FAQs including mine. The hoops we have to
jump through to retrieve web pages by E-mail methods are sometimes
insurmountable.

There is nothing easier than:
To: mail-server@rtfm.mit.edu
Subject: [leave blank]
Body of the message
send usenet/news.answers/internet-services/access-via-email

--
Gerry Boyd -- gboyd@netcom.com

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved