Re: getting newsgroup readers to look at an FAQ

---------

Timothy S. Brannan (tbrann1@uic.edu)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:26:44 -0600

FAQers (which sounds bad!),

I usually post a Part 0 to my FAQ every posting period.
I include "What's New in the FAQ" and a "Whats New on the Website".

This posting becomes part of my Front page to the website, with links to the
noted articles.
My stats program show that those pages get the most traffic.

I have also thought a FAQ-Webring might be nice. I get a lot of people coming
to my FAQ, because of the webrings it is a part of.
Currently I co-manage the "Made with Notepad" and the "Gateway 2000 Cow
Pasture" rings, I don't really have the time to start and run a new one.

Only ideas.

Oh BTW I have enjoyed seeing many of your FAQs on their web sites. We all
basically do the same thing, but it is nice to see other's execution of the
same ideas.

Tim Brannan,
Maintanier of the alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 FAQ.

At 01:14 AM 3/18/99 +0000, you wrote:

> Have you thought about doing a "What's new in the FAQ?" post with a
>pointer to the full FAQ?
>
> I like your idea of 'targetted' subsections of the full FAQ.
>Anything to pique people's curiosity would help, but I think the main
>thing is to see if you can change the culture slightly in your newsgroup
>to the point where people point others to the FAQ first.
>
> When I answer people from the FAQ I try to just quote the relevant
>section included any attributed source for the answer _especially_ if it
>came from a newsgroup regular.  People like to see themselves credited
>and it looks to me as if they refer to the FAQ more often when their own
>name is in it as a contributor.
>
>Later,
>Edward
>

>Fortran Dragon    | "There isn't enough darkness in the world
>-=={MDLAM}==-     | to quench the light of one small candle."
>Hidalgo Trading Company:
<http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/>http://home.earthlink.net/~fortran/

Timothy S. Brannan, MS. Ed., Ph.D (ABD)
Univesity of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Medical Education
tbrannan@usa.net http://www.uic.edu/~tbrann1/gateway.html

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved