Re: Q: call it authorized faqs or what?

---------

Baglady Lani (lani@lava.net)
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:00:47 -1000 (HST)

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Steve Summit wrote:
>Indeed, but I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about that.
>"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", and even if the
>commercial FAQ lists aren't very sincere, their existence is one
>of the prices we pay for our own success in defining the form.

The thing is, if commercial FAQs weren't called "FAQs", they would've
been called "guides" or "Q&As" or something similar.

It seems to me that the only thing that's happened recently is that
commercial outfits have figured out that Q&As online are called "FAQs"
generically.

Imagine yourself managing four "manuals" and all of a sudden, every
company published its own how-to "manual." I see very little
difference.

More to the point, you are probably interested in figuring out the
right terminology to differentiate your FAQs as non-commercial,
unofficial, or third-party generated.

--
Baglady Lani Teshima <lani@lava.net>|"Packing tips for one-bag trips"  \0/
ICQ#19803285. IM & eBay: Traveliter | The Travelite.FAQ--Get enLITEned  |D

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved