Re: Public Access NNTP server?

---------

Nick (tanstaafl@pobox.com)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 23:02:45 -0400

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 00:50:29 +0100, "Paul Hilling" <p.hilling@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>I'm having some problems with my primary news server with my ISP.
>
>Does anyone know of a *good & free* public access news server with decentish propogation

This comes up in <news:news.newusers.questions> on a regular basis; here's
part of my canned response. I hope somebody else has better news for you...
:-)

If you want a web-based news service, DejaNews, at
<http://www.dejanews.com/> has a pretty good selection of newsgroups; and
it's free.

If you're looking for a news server that you can connect to with a regular
news reader, go here for Yahoo's list of commercial news servers:

<http://www.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Companies/Internet_Services/Usenet_Servers/Commercial/>

And you'll find Yahoo's list of public access news servers and web-based
news readers here:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Internet/Usenet/Public_Access_Usenet_Sites/

Quite frankly, I don't expect you to have much luck with free 'public'
access news servers: running a news server costs money, and you're not
likely to find a free one with a very comprehensive list of newsgroups. And
if you do, it probably won't be open to the public very long.

If a good news feed is important to you, your best choices are probably to
either find an ISP with a better selection of newsgroups, or to sign up with
a commercial news server that you can connect to from your current account.

--
Nick        <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

Scams and Hoaxes FAQ: Messages you DON'T want to post <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/scams>

Computer Virus FAQ for New Users <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/computer-virus/new-users>

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved