copyright story(long)

---------

Vince Cheng (vccheng@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Thu, 15 May 1997 22:35:23 -0600 (MDT)

Ok, here's the deal:
a friend of mine was surfing the net and he told me that these guys used
my FAQ, I checked and he was right. They did not tell me or nothing, so
I was quite mad. I sent him 2 letters to tell them to take it off, no
reply, so I sent the 3rd letter to everybody they have and 2 of my friends
to have fun reading them. Anyhow, it's all an argument after that. Keep
in mind that according to the Canadian Intellectual Property Office's
Guide to Copyright:

When you create an original work, you will automatically have copyright
protection
provided that, at the time of creation, you were:=20

1.a Canadian citizen or British subject, or=20
2.a resident within Her Majesty's Realms and Territories, or=20
3.a citizen or subject of, or a person ordinarily resident
in,a Berne Copyright Convention country, or a Universal Copyright
Convention country, or a country that is a member of the WTO, or
4.a citizen or subject of any country to which the Minister
has extended protection by notice in the Canada Gazette.=20

You would also obtain automatic copyright if your work was first
published in one of the above countries, even if you were not a citizen or
subject of Canada, or of one of those countries.=20

In short, virtually everyone living in Canada can enjoy the
benefits of automatic copyright protection. In addition, Canadians are
protected in most foreign countries since most belong to one of two
international treaties the Berne Copyright Convention or the Universal
Copyright Convention, or are members of the World Trade Organization.
Citizens of member countries enjoy the benefits of Canadian copyright law,
and Canada also extends protection to certain non-member countries by way
of notice in the Canada Gazette. Sound recordings are not covered under
the copyright treaties, but Canada does extend protection for sound
recordings to citizens of member countries.
{end of quote}
another quote

You do not have to register your copyright to have protection in Canada,

<end of quote>

I have the rights, but it's not like I will spend the money to sue them,
all I want is for them to say they are sorry for illegally using my
material. they are now saying that they are doing it because they respect
my rights. No offense to anyone here, but screw that sh*t. I mean, they
are taking it off line just to save their buttts, we know it, they know
it, but they think I'm so stupid that I will take their "respect for your
rights" crap as an apology. Maybe I should just get the law service thing
from my university to write them a letter, just to make them sweat.
Anyways, here's the e-mails, published for all to see. yeah, it's not a
nice thing to do, but I couldn't careless.

From=20vccheng@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca Thu May 15 22:18:15 1997