Re: Dealing with random questions

---------

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond (o.crepin-leblond@ic.ac.uk)
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 21:18:02 +0000

Nancy McGough writes:

> Another problem, related to the question of FAQ requests, is how to
> best deal with random questions that people send you because they think
> that you are the helpdesk for the Internet.

I think that an FAQ maintainer exposes him/herself to being asked
random questions by the nature of his/her position. After all,
FAQ maintainers are providing a reference on the net, and new
users often need references... If you're a maintainer, it's
easy to assume that you've been around long enough to be able
to answer questions about the net...
I generally get around 2 or 3 questions per day. In the true
spirit of the net, I take this as it comes, and spend some time
answering the questions... If I didn't want to help anybody
out, I would not bother posting my FAQ.

Olivier (FAQ: International E-mail connectivity)

--
Olivier M.J. Crepin-Leblond, Digital Comms. Section, Elec. Eng. Department
 Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London SW7 2BT, UK