Re: Is there a FAQ on how to format postings?

---------

Joe Sewell (jsewell@iu.net)
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 11:48:42 +0000

At 7:03 PM 12/12/94 -0800, Jack Hamilton wrote:
>Chris Lewis wrote:
>
>> They should consult the documentation for their system. It's not
>> really possible to write a FAQ for FAQ writers that does this justice.
>> There's too many different editors, systems, providers etc.
>
>I agree that they *should*, but the fact remains that they *don't*.

Then why would you expect them to read a message format FAQ?

>I don't care whether it explains every possible variation of editors and
>systems. 50-75% would be enough.

And then the remaining 25-50% would stick out like a sore thumb, just like now.

Message format is too flexible to be worth dealing with in a FAQ. Some of
what you're talking about (e.g. quoting on AOL, or at least remembering to
remove the dang silly quote header if no text is quoted) would be nice, but
I'm not sure anybody there would read it. (That's not a slur on AOL users,
just fact; USENET is just too alien to most online service & BBS users.)

Don't forget, too, the lovely gem of using arrow keys instead of the Delete
key to edit text (assuming their particular editor doesn't support
full-screen editing).

Joe

Joe Sewell       * What's the point in being *  Internet: jsewell@iu.net
                 * grown up if you can't act *       CIS: 74136,360
Is reality merely* childish?                 *       AOL: JoeS10
virtual fantasy? *              - The Doctor *   Fidonet: 1:374/328.7