Re: The FAQ system approaches obsolescence. What do we do now?

---------

Graham Stoney (greyham@research.canon.oz.au)
Wed, 7 Dec 1994 10:34:43 +1100 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Dec 1994, Graham Stoney wrote in response to Eric S. Raymond's
"wake-up call":

Putnam Barber writes:
> I wonder why this particular myth is /so/ hard to stifle. I use lynx to
> access the Web all the time and it works just fine. I don't get to see
> the pretty pictures or hear the sound-effects, but the fundamental
> vitality of the web for providing access to text-based information is
> easily available over a dial-up line to a text-oriented unix provider.

It's not a myth; it will certainly be difficult to stifle because it's the
truth. I didn't mention anything about text-based versus multimedia, I
mentioned IP. lynx uses some form of IP to talk to the Web servers, just like
every other browser does. If your site doesn't have an IP connection to the
Internet (you may run UUCP, MHSnet, or some other store-and-forward protocol),
you cannot access the web except via mail servers, which is a royal pain.

You can't just click and surf if you're not IP-connected. FAQs in news.answers
will always be more convenient for these users.

regards,
Graham