Re: The FAQ system approaches obsolescence. What do we do now?

---------

Pat Berry (pat@berry.Cary.NC.US)
Tue, 06 Dec 94 18:22:22 EST

Putnam Barber <pbarber@eskimo.com> writes:

> I wonder why this particular myth is /so/ hard to stifle.

Perhaps because it's true.

> I use lynx to
> access the Web all the time and it works just fine. I don't get to see
> the pretty pictures or hear the sound-effects, but the fundamental
> vitality of the web for providing access to text-based information is
> easily available over a dial-up line to a text-oriented unix provider.

Unix is not the entire world. I access newsgroups with a DOS program
that downloads my news traffic via dial-up connection to another PC
running OS/2. I read news offline using a text-only newsreader. This
gives me no WWW capability whatsoever, but it costs me about the same
amount per year that most people are paying per *month* for a SLIP
account with a commercial provider. This is how I maintain my FAQ, and
I don't expect this arrangement to change in the near future.

A lot of people are doing this. They use FAQs in the current form.
If all FAQs turn into WWW home pages overnight, these people will be cut
off. And so will I, which means my FAQ will probably be orphaned. I'm
not going to shell out my hard-earned cash for WWW capability just
because it's The Thing To Do.