Re: The FAQ system approaches obsolescence. What do we do now?

---------

Tim Pierce (twpierce@midway.uchicago.edu)
Tue, 6 Dec 94 8:28:29 CST

Eric Raymond wrote:

> There are two drawbacks to this. One, of course, is that not everybody has
> the Web yet. This doesn't concern me, as I think the tend towards WWW for
> everybody on the Net is such that it will achieve universality in no more than
> a year from now, and my money is on six months or less from now. Anyone want
> to bet the price of a good dinner against that? No? I didn't think so.

Sure, I will. I expect that within six months, I will have
upgraded my home connection to, gasp, UUCP! Maybe, maybe,
*maybe* six months after that I will have achieved a SLIP
connection, but even then I dunno how much Web browsing I'm
going to do at 14.4K, eh? (To answer the Heloises out
there, I don't intend to run Netscape even if the MCOM
employees come to my home and insert flaming bamboo sticks
beneath my fingernails.)

So, what's a good dinner to you, Eric? This should be
interesting.

> The other drawback is that there aren't yet good mechanisms for advertising
> and indexing WWW resources.

The drawback is that the Web sucks if taken as a publishing
medium.