Next Document: 05.03 How can I eliminate duplicate copies of letters to myself?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 02:19:58 -0500

  In nmh, to include a message in a reply with a leading ">", just use
  "repl -format".

From: Alan Thew <qq11 at liv.ac.uk>, Mike Schwager <schwager at cs.uiuc.edu>,
	James T Perkins <jamesp at sp-eug.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1993 00:00:00 -0800

  When making a reply, specify a filter file on the command line:

    repl -filter repl.format

  This filter file must be in your MH mail directory (usually "Mail",
  in your home directory). Here are a couple of example repl.format
  files:

    overflowtext="",overflowoffset=0
    message-id:nocomponent,formatfield=\
    "In message %{text}, you wrote:"
    body:component="> ",overflowtext="> ",overflowoffset=0

  or

    overflowtext="",overflowoffset=0
    date:component="Your message dated",formatfield=\
    "%<(nodate{text})%{text}%|%(pretty{text})%>"
    body:component="> ",overflowtext="> ",overflowoffset=0

  Setting overflowoffset to 0 keeps MH from doing anything to
  extra-long lines in the headers. In the body, however, this behavior
  is overridden so that long lines are automatically broken and a ">"
  is inserted before every line. You could put almost whatever you
  want between those quotes, although the "standard" ">" makes it
  easier to read notes that have been included several times. The
  examples differ with the descriptive text that is inserted before
  the included body.

  It is suggested not to use the "prompter" editor in this case, since
  it is likely that you'll not want to use all of the included
  message. Indeed, it is proper etiquette to edit out all unnecessary
  include verbiage so readers don't have to wade through the morass to
  read your pearls of wisdom.

  WARNING: the '>' appears on the first line ONLY in versions prior to
  6.7.2. Upgrade to MH 6.8.

  See also MH book sections 7.8.4 (6.7.4), 7.8.5 (6.7.5), 10.4.1
  (9.4.1), or the URLs:

    http://rand-mh.sourceforge.net/book/mh/reprep-2.html#ReaEdi
    http://rand-mh.sourceforge.net/book/mh/reprep-2.html#Inc
    http://rand-mh.sourceforge.net/book/mh/verrep.html#IncRep

Previous Document: 05.01 Why does repl add a "Re:" to a message that already has one?
Next Document: 05.03 How can I eliminate duplicate copies of letters to myself?