Search the FAQ Archives

3 - A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M
N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z - Internet FAQ Archives

rec.aviation FAQ
Section - DUATS on-line weather briefings

( Single Page )
[ Usenet FAQs | Web FAQs | Documents | RFC Index | Sex offenders ]

Top Document: rec.aviation FAQ
Previous Document: Logging cross-country time
Next Document: Starting a new article thread
See reader questions & answers on this topic! - Help others by sharing your knowledge
Q10: Tell me about DUATS on-line weather briefings.

A:  If you can dial a U.S. (800) number, or you have access to the Internet,
    you can access DUATS, the FAA's Direct User Access Terminal System,
    at no charge.  DUATS service is provided by two commercial vendors:

                                            voice info      data line
        DTC (Data Transformation Corp.)   1-800-243-3828  1-800-245-3828
        GTE Federal Sys Division (Contel) 1-800-345-3828  1-800-767-9989

    GTE (Contel) DUATS may be accessed via the Internet; simply telnet to  If your machine seems to be brain-dead in the name
    server department, try  Non-pilots must use the machine (note the "s" in duats), address  You
    can use e-mail to contact GTE for help at .
    A shell script which allows an entire briefing to be obtained using
    a single command to the shell is available by request from

    GTE's 800-number dial-in lines now support v32bis (14400).  GTE DUATS
    may also be accessed via SPRINTNET; call the voice info line for a
    local access number.  For DTC, 243-3828 is "AID-DUAT" and 245-3828 is

    If you're a U.S.-licensed pilot (student pilots and glider pilots
    without medicals included), it is to your advantage to obtain a DUATS
    user I.D. and to use that I.D. whenever you obtain a briefing.  Users
    who sign on without giving an I.D. cannot file flight plans, and the
    briefing will not be recorded for the purposes of counting as a "legal"

    If you haven't used DUATS before, you can simply call the data number and
    register on-line.  When registering, student pilots should use their
    student pilot certificate number which is also the medical certificate
    number; it begins with "BB" or "DD", and you need to type in the "BB" or
    "DD" as well as the digits.  If your medical is less than about three
    months old, or you are a glider or other pilot who doesn't have a medical
    certificate, you may need to call the voice info numbers to get them to
    add you to the database.  You must register with each provider
    independently; they provide similar levels of service.

    Several commercial weather vendors also exist, and each of them provides
    additional services which may not be available on DUATS.
    Jeppesen-Sanderson has two different services, Jeppesen DataPlan at 1-800-
    358-6468 [voice] is designed for "big guys"; Jepp/Link at 1-800-553-7750
    [voice] is an enhanced version of DUATS for "the rest of us".  CompuServe
    Information Services (buy a starter pack from a local computer store,
    type "GO AWX") has local data access numbers throughout the country.
    WeatherBank, Inc. of Salt Lake City, UT, also has more specialized
    information such as ROAB soundings and farm forecasts, as well as a
    longer online "history" (up to one year) than other vendors.

    There is a wealth of additional weather information available on the
    Internet.  Please see Ilana Stern's Sources of Meteorological Data FAQ
    which is posted to sci.geo.meteorology, news.answers, and sci.answers

User Contributions:

Comment about this article, ask questions, or add new information about this topic:

Top Document: rec.aviation FAQ
Previous Document: Logging cross-country time
Next Document: Starting a new article thread

Single Page

[ Usenet FAQs | Web FAQs | Documents | RFC Index ]

Send corrections/additions to the FAQ Maintainer:

Last Update March 27 2014 @ 02:11 PM