FAQ Maintainers Mailing List
Re: [faq-maintainers] A request...

---------

From: Nick Boalch (n.g.boalch@durham.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 03:16:12 CST

John O. Kopf wrote:

> I am currently posting a FAQ periodically from faq-server@rtfm.mit.edu;
> the posting interval is set to 7 (days).
>
> The expiration is also set to 7 days after it's posted.
>
> What I'm seeing is that it actually gets posted every 8th day.

The FAQ server doesn't guarantee an exact posting interval; it posts as near
as it can to the interval you've specified.

> That means that a day passes without it in news.answers; I'd like it to
> be there ALL the time, even if it's briefly duplicated.
>
> Could the expiration be set to 1 day MORE than the posting interval?

Expires: of your FAQ is currently being set by the FAQ server to a date 21
days ahead of the posting date, so this isn't the problem. I think perhaps
what's happening is that your news server is set to expire the whole group
after only 7 days? I seem to remember we've had discussions about this in
the past.

Cheers,
Nick