FAQ Maintainers Mailing List
Re: [faq-maintainers] FAQ-based spam...

---------

From: Edward Reid (edward@paleo.org)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 07:53:12 CST

At 03:18 PM -0600 11/19/01, Annie wrote:
>Well, I just got a reply from our local e-mail guru who says this
>outfit
>is in Italy and that there's really not that much you can do about
>people
>doing stuff like this.

I reported the spam late last night and woke up this morning to the
response quoted below. Note that because I reported via SpamCop, they
had to take an extra step to tell SpamCop to release the email through
to me. Though one or two ISPs have automated this step, in this case
it's almost certainly a sign that I got a personal reply. Both the
personal reply and pushing the reply through SpamCop are a level of
attention higher than most ISPs give to individual complaints.

So I think this validates my first impressions that 1) on the average,
Italian providers are at least as good as the world average and perhaps
better, 2) a guru in one area isn't always a guru in a closely related
area, and 3) reporting spam to providers in Italy is definitely worth
the time and trouble.

Edward Reid

The response: