FAQ Maintainers Mailing List
Re: [faq-maintainers] "MIME Digest" Considered Harmful (was Digest in Usenet Articles)

---------

From: Andrew Gierth (andrew@erlenstar.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2001 - 13:45:53 CST

[usenet-format removed from recipients]

 Tom> I guess it's now or never, so let me issue this lament from the
 Tom> crumbling ramparts of the Net we once knew. :)

 Tom> The purpose of a Digest, as I have known it over the years, is
 Tom> to save transmission space and reduce mailbox clutter by
 Tom> collecting a series of messages into a single, human readable
 Tom> daily "omnibus" with redundant headers removed. A Digest often
 Tom> functions like a daily newspaper or journal, with a list of
 Tom> subjects and a neatly formatted body consisting of that day's
 Tom> articles.

 Tom> The so-called "MIME Digest" breaks every one of these desirable
 Tom> features and substitutes a theory-driven mess, apparently so
 Tom> that the people who invented "multipart/*" can say they found
 Tom> another cool use for it.

as far as I can tell, all your objections are objections to the
behaviour of implementations rather than to the standard itself.
Specifically:

 Tom> * Little or no space is saved, because boundary overhead and
 Tom> repetitive headers often exceed message content.

Boundary overhead can be minimised if needed; the boundary for a MIME
digest can be, as Charles pointed out, the same sequence of 30 -'s
that is otherwise common. On the other hand, it can equally well be
a simple "--8=--"....

There is also no requirement for repetitive headers. MIME message/rfc822
specifically _does not_ require that all headers normally required in
mail be present; the only restriction is that at least one of From,
Subject, or Date be present.

This is a valid MIME digest: