automatic acknowledgement from netannounce@deshaw.com

From: Moderator of news.announce.newusers (netannounce@world.deshaw.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 21:03:31 CDT

Hi.

Thank you for your message. This is either an acknowledgement of your
posting to news.announce.newusers or your email to netannounce@deshaw.com.
(To help you detect forgeries, your message is enclosed at the end of this
message)

news.announce.newusers is a moderated newsgroup; its purpose is to
distribute various educational documents that are intended for newcomers to
Usenet. Postings to the newsgroup are e-mailed to me
(netannounce@deshaw.com) for approval.

If your message was relevant to one of the documents I maintain, please
mail it to netannounce-submit@deshaw.com and I'll get back to you soon.
Usually, it takes me till the week-end to process such postings. Just

Much as I like helping newcomers to the net, I just don't have the time to
reply individually to the many people who send me questions every day. If
you don't get a reply from me, my apologies in advance. The rest of this
message is my attempt to answer the most common questions that I get.

If you're one of the rare kind souls with an appreciative message, my
thanks!

If your posting was a "MakeMoneyFast" note or any other chain letter
(DaveRhodes, etc), it will be reported to the administrators at your site.
Please cancel the letter from any other forums that you may have posted it
to and tell the person who sent you the chain letter to do the same. DON'T
SEND CHAIN LETTERS; they are impolite, wasteful and illegal if they ask for
money or items of value! If you have access to the World-Wide Web, read
        http://www.usps.gov/websites/depart/inspect/chainlet.htm
to see what the US Postal Service has to say about them.

If your posting was a test, or a "hello" message, please refrain from
doing so again. Use misc.test or misc.test.moderated if you want to try
a world-wide test and you will get some automatic replies. It might be
better to try a local test newsgroup (eg. ny.test for New York, nj.test
for New Jersey, can.test for Canada, etc) Further, please read all the
documents that are periodically posted to news.announce.newusers to
improve your understanding of Usenet before you post anything.

If your posting was a request for information or help with your news
system, news posting or news feeds, please read the regular postings to
news.announce.newusers carefully, check with your local news administrator,
or post to the news.newusers.questions newsgroup. If you are the system
administrator, then try asking another administrator at your organization
or at the organization that provides you Internet or network access. In
particular, if you're using America On-Line, please use the online help
there or send email to NewsMaster@aol.com -- I have no idea how you can
read or post news on America On-Line. If you're using Netcom, please
direct questions to support@netcom.com. Prodigy members who are looking
for answers to questions about using News can post on the local newsgroup
"prodigy.usenet.help", where Prodigy member support representatives will
answer their questions.

If you're wondering why a particular newsgroup isn't available on your
system, especially an alt.* newsgroup, you need to ask your system
administrator. Every site can select its own subset of newsgroups
and many sites don't automatically create alt.* newsgroups.

If your message was some personal e-mail that you accidentally posted to
the newsgroup, please be more careful; it can be very embarassing to
misdirect e-mail.

If you're looking for a job or want someone to fill a job, try one of the
misc.jobs groups: misc.jobs.contract, misc.jobs.misc, misc.jobs.offered,
misc.jobs.offered.entry, misc.jobs.resumes. Before you post to one of
those groups, make sure you read the "Welcome to misc.jobs!" posting
that appears in all the misc.jobs groups and news.answers.

If your posting was about the alt.* newsgroups, try posting to alt.config.

If your posting was an announcement of a Web page, see
        http://ep.com/faq/webannounce.html
        http://boutell.com/~grant/charter.html
for some suggestions on where you can announce your Web page.

If your posting was a question about mainstream newsgroup creation or
newsgroup votes, again, please make sure you have read all the documents
in news.announce.newusers, especially the bits about creating new groups.
Then look through news.announce.newgroups and read some of the articles
marked "RFD" and "CFV". Then, try to follow news.groups for a while, to
get a better feel for the process. If you have done all that but you
still have questions, try posting them to news.groups or asking
group-advice@uunet.uu.net.

If you are trying to get a list of newsgroups, mailing lists etc, please
check the news.lists newsgroups for the periodic "List of" postings for
newsgroups, alternative hierarchies and mailing lists. You can
also get these lists from the automatic mail-server described below.

If you want a copy of one of the periodic introductory postings that I
maintain (or any other Usenet periodic posting/Frequently Asked Questions
posting), send mail to
        mail-server@rtfm.mit.edu

Initially, try a message with no Subject: and just the following four
lines in the body:

help
index usenet-by-group/news.announce.newusers
index usenet-by-group/news.lists
quit

Other useful commands to try include:

index usenet-by-group
index usenet-by-group/news.answers
quit

Be warned that news.answers has a LOT of information.

If you want the list of all mainstream Usenet newsgroups, try sending the
following lines:

send usenet-by-group/news.answers/active-newsgroups/part1
send usenet-by-group/news.answers/active-newsgroups/part2
quit

If you want a list of most of the non-mainstream newsgroups (alt.*,
bionet.*, etc) that use the same format and transport as Usenet, you can
ask for:

send usenet-by-group/news.answers/alt-hierarchies/part1
send usenet-by-group/news.answers/alt-hierarchies/part2
send usenet-by-group/news.answers/alt-hierarchies/part3
quit

Have a nice day!

        Mark Moraes, moderator of news.announce.newusers.

--
Your message was:

From: Kent Landfield <kent@landfield.com> To: faq-maintainers@faqs.org cc: Subject: FAQ-Maintainers List is Back!!!

Dear FAQ Maintainer, Sorry for the form letter... Please read on... It seems that the faq-maintainers mailing list has died. It WAS being hosted at lists.consensus.com. The company Consensus was purchased by Certicom and it seems that the list got lost in the merging of assests. I later found out that the drive that the list was on acutally crashed. The "faq-maintainers" list is now hosted at faqs.org. You received this because your name was listed in one of the FAQs on faqs.org. If you wish to be removed from the faq-maintainers mailing list please send an unsubscribe message to majordomo@faqs.org In order to get the list started again, I gathered the email addresses from the faq files themselves and I have subscribed everyone. I know this is not the most polite way do do things and for that I'm sorry. I have asked Pam Greene to officially change the address for the list to faq-maintainers@faqs.org in the *.answers administrative postsing. As this is the brute force method for reaching people, there are quite a few people that will not be contacted since their email addresses may have changed or they were participating without having actually written an FAQ that was posted to a *.answers newsgroup. Could you please post a message to each of your newsgroups letting them know of the change ? That way people that are not being sent this message will receive the news. Please let your readership know about two items, 1. The faq-maintainers list address changed from faqs-maintainers@consensus.com to faq-maintainers@faqs.org for those interested. 2. The OSU Archives has officially died. If you have references to http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/... in your FAQs please change them to the proper location on http://www.faqs.org/... There will also be a digest version of the list shortly for those that are interested. Thanks and please bear with me as I get the list back up and operational again... --- Kent Landfield Phone: 1-817-545-2502 Email: kent@landfield.com http://www.landfield.com/ Search the Usenet FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ Search the RFC/FYI/STD/BCP Archive at http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/