FAQ Maintainers Mailing List
[faq-maintainers] Re: Mail headers

---------

From: Kade Hansson (kade_fh@postoffice.utas.edu.au)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 17:36:33 CST

At 12:51 AM 12/6/00 -0500, Tom wrote:

>OK, I'll bite, seeing as how there's a twenty-year-old OED Compact
>Edition not two feet to my right ... [flip, flip] ... Superbly,
>Superbness, Superbous, Supercargo, here we go:
>
> Supercede: var. (now erron.) of Supersede.

-

"The correct spelling, take it or leave it, is 'supersede' (dictionaries do
not allow 'supercede'). A useful way to remember this [S spelling] is the
meaning of the word itself, which is to Suppant someone or something."

Godfrey Howard: The Good English Guide- English Usage in the 1990s

-

The guy who knew his latin roots should already have put an end to this. I
suspect the only reason some dictionaries list 'supercede' as an
alternative is because so many people (and indeed dictionaries, it seems)
get it wrong.

--
Archer
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6413/