FAQ Maintainers Mailing List
Re: [faq-maintainers] Interface vs. moderators

---------

From: Charles MacDonald (cmacd@achilles.net)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 17:08:58 CDT

D. Kirkpatrick wrote:

> IOW, leave all the present tools in place but ADD to it so those without Unix access (a growing pool of computer users) can take up the slack.

As I understand it, the idea of the HTML style interface is more to deal
with the "Ping Time to MIT" problem.. The existing set-up requires the
moderator to telnet (or equivelent) into a machine at MIT in order to
acomplish some tasks. If the tolls could be used with a web interface,
someone could do the work without the high-speed conectivity that they
would need to run something VIA telnet. Transfer the work to the users
machine in other words.

> If the task is made non-platform or non-application specific, or as close to that as possible, I suspect a host of new people would influx to help.
>
> The general trend in the personal computer market is not putting Unix systems in people's homes or places of business. It continues to be an ever increasing rarity used only by high end traffic users such as ISP services, etc.

For that one I will perhaps be able to disagree in a year. Linux, which
for all intents and purposes IS a version of UNIx in all but name, is
finding its way into everthing from PDA packetsize machines to IBM
mainframes these days.. Most of these new UNIX machine will spend 98% of
their time in a Graphical interface. like Gnome or KDE.

> FAQ authors and maintainers will be posting from their homes. The present system requires a specific platform and specific programming knowledge that the average John Doe does not have access to. That limits the pool of people to an elitist few.

I don't think the authors are expected to have UNIX, I have been using
the Auto-poster, and dealing with it from Windows 3.1 ! (But after the
next revison I will be transioning to Linux)

> And, is likely one reason why we face the present situation with few to none able to handle the present load and backlog.

The requirment to have a 75 MS Ping time ot MIT is the reson, that and
the unfortunate disability of one of the moderators just as another had
to get back into the swing of Grad school.

--
Charles MacDonald Stittsville Ontario
...Just beyond the fringe