FAQ Maintainers Mailing List
Re: What format? (Was: General List Information)

---------

From: Matthew Hambley (snowyowl@therealm.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 13:51:07 CDT

In message <20000806103531.A9075@shell3.ba.best.com>
          Tom Holub <doosh@best.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 01:59:17PM +0100, Matthew Hambley wrote:
> >
> > The reason I decided to go down the HTML->text route rather than the
> > text->HTML is that you are effectively loosing information when you
> > convert from HTML to text. Thus it is not possible to infer that
> > information on the return journey.
>
> At the risk of incurring the Wrath of Curmudgeons, this loss of information
> is why I decided to keep my FAQ's in HTML format only, and post them that
> way. If people want to lynx -dump them, let them remove the information
> themselves.

Now that I've made that statement in a public forum I'm beginning to suspect
it isn't entirely true. What you actually loose is *machine readable
information* which isn't quite the same thing. To the human reading the
document the information is still there it would just be a bugger to try and
machine parse the document for that information.

The way I see it is that the web is where HTML belongs and Use-net/e-mail is
where 7-bit ASCII belongs. People using a web browser don't really want to
deal with a big wodge of preformated text and people using a news/mail client
dont want to be confronted with a jungle of HTML mark up.

--
(\/)atthew Hambley ----------------\ If something's worth doing it's worth
                                    \ doing badly until you can learn to

[ FAQ Archive | Search FAQ Mail Archive | Authors | Usenet References ]
[ 1993 | 1994 | 1995 | 1996 | 1997 | 1998 | 1999 | 2000
]

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997-2000
All rights reserved