Re: Looking at were we are...

---------

Yves Bellefeuille (yan@storm.ca)
Fri, 21 May 1999 19:03:04 -0400

Kent Landfield <kent@landfield.com> wrote:

> 1. Authors aren't updating faqs as often anymore.

The numbers indicate that half of the FAQs haven't been updated in the
last 6 months, but there's no indication that authors aren't updating
"as often anymore", i.e. that updates were more frequent in the past.

I wrote a FAQ some time ago and, for whatever reason, later abandoned
it. As far as I know, it's still in the archives. I think it's better
that it stay there, outdated as it is, rather than I remove it
completely. It might still be useful for someone.

As time goes by, the number of abandoned FAQs will increase. That's only
to be expected.

> Second, of the 3402 FAQs checked, 1261 of them have URL auxiliary
> headers that point to the FAQ's home page. While this is a good
> thing to include due to the timeliness of updates on some archives,
> it indicates a perception by the authors that the web is the
> authoritative point for their FAQs.

I mention an URL on several of my FAQs, and I strongly disagree that
this means that I perceive "that the Web is the authoritative point" for
them. It's just another place to get them, that's all, and I mention
them for people who might find it more convenient.

Sometimes I answer a question by saying "this is covered in the FAQ:
see section 7". It's a lot more useful to continue by saying "... and
you can get the FAQ at http://...", rather than "... and wait 2 weeks
for the FAQ to appear in the group".

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>, Ottawa, Canada
Francais / English / Esperanto

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved