OFFTOPIC web to email gateways

---------

David L. Nicol (david@kasey.umkc.edu)
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 23:08:38 +0000

"Gerald E. Boyd" wrote:

> Things are just fine at the FAQ archives as is. E-mail only access is
> how most of my users get the FAQs including mine. The hoops we have to
> jump through to retrieve web pages by E-mail methods are sometimes
> insurmountable.

> Gerry Boyd -- gboyd@netcom.com

Lynx -dump and lynx -source are both trivial to add to autoresponders.

I set one up for a friend who was using juno. It has since broken
due to a server reassignment but it could be repaired.

I thought there were several standard gateways so I didn't try to
advertise mine. Of course working all day on the university network
I never need to use such things myself. Am I mistaken? If there is
an unfilled need for web-page-by-email services I will set mine back
up and try to publicise it.

Please respond off the faq-maintainers list with your comments
on the state of web to email gateways, negative experiences with
existing ones, what the interface for the ideal one would be like,
and you'll get to be in the beta testing focus group for mine should
I decide to resurrect it.

david nicol
(manager, tipjar LLC http://www.tipjar.com/nettoys.html)

David Nicol 816.235.1187 UMKC Network Operations david@news.umkc.edu
++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++
++++ more info: http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm ++++

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved