Re: Future of FAQ Archives..

---------

David Alex Lamb (dalamb@cs.queensu.ca)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:05:26 -0500 (EST)

> From: Kent Landfield <kent@landfield.com>
> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:04:53 -0600 (CST)
>
> # I suppose it's conceivable to try to contact the hierarchical portals (like
> # Yahoo) and see about working out some sort of blanket deal to include "all"
> # the FAQs somehow. Does this seem like a reasonable idea? We might be able to
> # work out some correspondence between the news.answers archive names and the
> # yahoo hierarchical structure that would make their job easier.
>
> ??? I'm a bit confused here. One of the main reasons I foot the bill here
> is because I have been lamblasted for even suggesting the addition of "ads"
> on faq.org index pages. (I'm not talking about the FAQ pages themselves,
> I'm talking about just the index pages.) I completely understand that and
> so honor the authors's requests by not putting ads on index pages for their
> faqs. Yahoo and other search engines do a good job of raking in the bucks
> doing just that. And why target just one search engine ? Many people don't
> yahoo. ;)

I meant yahoo-as-an-example rather than yahoo-as-exclusive. The point was
it's at least *conceivable* that FAQ archive names can be mapped onto various
people's hierarchical index structures, so that FAQs can be made to show up in
places where users look on hierarchical systems, but I don't know what to do
about the non-hierarchical search engines.

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved