Re: Check This Out. #3B24

---------

Danny R. Faught (faught@rsn.hp.com)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:28:24 -0500

On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 08:37:41AM +0200, Pahle, Morten Gleditsch wrote:
> Paul Hilling wrote:
> >
> > Shouldn't the list be a subscribers only list? Then the spammer would have
> > to sub to the list to spam it.
>
> I should probably not post this without checking to make absolutely
> sure, but, unless I am very much mistaken:
> It is reasonably easy to make a script which will query the list server
> for the email addresses of all the members on the list. You do not
> necessarily need to be a subscriber of the list to fo this, even.

I have lists under majordomo that are configured not to give out the
subscriber list to anybody. An enterprising spammer could still join
the list to gain access to the archives and cull all the addresses of
those who have posted to the list before. At least you'd have an audit
trail when this happens, because the archives are only available to
subscribers.

> Unfortunately, once it is done (as it obviously has), the 'list of
> emails of faq-maintainers' has become a separate entity, and will/can be
> sold to anyone else, on a CD-ROM or similar.

Yup.

-Danny

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved