Re: Stupid Embarassing Newbie-Like Problem with the Approved: Line

---------

Charles R. MacDonald (cmacd@achilles.net)
Fri, 9 May 1997 10:39:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 8 May 1997, James Messer wrote:

> Ok, I've written a FAQ, sent it for approval, waited for a reply, and
> finally received the approval from the *.answers demi-gods (or are they
> _real_ gods?)!
>
> And, although I've worked with newsgroups and the 'net in general for
> years, a single procedure has brought me to a screeching halt. In the
> approval e-mail, this statement was found:

> Here's the embaressing part; I have no idea how to get this onto the main
> header of my newsreader. My main header looks like this:
>
> From: jamesm@ngc.com
> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.lans.token-ring,comp.answers,news.answers
> Subject: comp.dcom.lans.token-ring FAQ
>
> Every line in this main header 'fits' into my Microsoft Internet Explorer
> News application _except_ the Approved: line. I can't figure out how it
> would fit into any other newsreader application, either. I just don't 'get'
> it. Trust me, it's not the first time and it's hardly the last.

The way I have been fakeing it is to use an OLD copy of win_vn. one of
the early news readers for windows. When I was working with Karens faq,
I found that the version of win_vn that she had also has the pre-filled
headers, and so I had to clone my old copy onto her computer too.

The reason the newer ones have to boxes to fill in is to protect newbys
from acidentaly editing the header.

I know there is probably a way to just type some magic
like rnews -xyz < faq-text-file
from my unix shell account, but I have not found the right
incantation in the unix books yet..

Charles MacDonald Stittsville Ontario cmacd@achilles.net
--- Just beyond the fringe ---
I Fear The Harris Government is Destroying Ontario