Re: News.answers submission problem with line length

---------

era eriksson (era@iki.fi)
Sat, 9 Aug 1997 11:47:04 +0300 (EET DST)

Oops. Allow me to make a couple of clarifications.

On Sat, 9 Aug 1997 10:45:29 +0300 (EET DST), I wrote on the
faq-maintainers list:
> On Fri, 8 Aug 1997 14:46:06 -0700 (PDT),
> Katie Schwarz <katie@physics.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>> news-answers-submit@rtfm.mit.edu. It appears to be ignoring all characters
>> beyond the 80th character on the Newsgroups: line, which cuts it off in the
>> middle of a newsgroup name.
> How long exactly is your "long" Newsgroups: line?
> Are you using some sort of MIME encoding? (This would show up as
> equals signs where the lines are broken up.)

If your site is using MIME, and you have a MIME-capable reader, the
message, when posted to yourself, would appear unbroken, because your
reader will reassemble it when you receive it. It will show up broken
in the response you receive from the FAQ checker, though (I'd imagine).

> I submitted a silly test with a 604-line Newsgroups: line just now
^^^^
Not quite. Just 604 bytes, of course.

/* era */

--