Re: Re[2]: Ohio State HTML FAQ archive is down

---------

Nancy McGough (nancym@ii.com)
Sun, 23 Jul 1995 16:41:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 6 Jul 1995, Sheerin, Peter wrote:
> To: Nancy McGough <nancym@ii.com>, faq-maintainers@MIT.EDU
>
> Hmmm. I agree that OSU's site is better for the digest format
> (although I've designed my FAQ with his special format in mind,
> instead), but what do you like better about the other sites for
> plain-text FAQs? Do they pick up on links (other than rfc's) better?
> Do they have better indexes or search tools?

I'm finally replying to Peter's question about what I like better
about the Utrecht and Oxford FAQ archives. I just updated my
"Finding and Writing FAQs" page so that it includes a comparison of
the three hypertext FAQ archives (Utrecht, Oxford, and Ohio State).
I think most people will agree that Ohio State is at the bottom of
list, but please send me your thoughts. Also, please send me any
other info for my page, which is at:

Primary: http://www.jazzie.com/ii/internet/faqs.html
Mirror: http://www.best.com/~ii/internet/faqs.html

> [...]
>
> But someone from O'Riely a while back had seemingly started along some
> sort of path like this, but I've never heard anything else. If he's
> still working on it, that could be the glue that's needed to begin to
> standardize things.

There is still a possibility of some kind of O'Reilly FAQ project,
possibly a combination book, CD-ROM, and Net thing. I'm seriously
considering playing a major role in this project (even though a
couple months ago I thought I didn't want to play a major role).
A lot of discussion about the FAQ project has happened in
faqbook@andrew.cais.com.

Ciao,
Nancy