Re: Dealing with requests for faq by e-mail

---------

Ulrich Grepel (uli@zoodle.robin.de)
Thu, 26 Jan 95 01:39:25 +0100

Hi!

> > What approaches do other people take when getting [send-me-your-FAQ]
> > requests like this? I sometimes feel I've got a mail list going as a
> > side business.
>

> I used to reply to these, but now I just ignore them. I've put a note
> in the FAQ to the effect of "I am not a mailserver" and a pointer to
> FTP and rtfm, and that seems to have done the trick.

Oh my, what's the problem with that? I've set up my system in a way that
replying with the FAQ needs a minimum of three mouse clicks and one keystroke.
I also put some people's email addresses into the FAQ and send it out
to them via email, even in a way that these email addresses aren't visible
in the posted version. The people receiving the FAQ regularly are, at least
in part, people who have valid reasons to always have the FAQ at hand, e.g.
the mailing list maintainer of the gatewayed mailing list, or some WWW page
provider keeping a copy of it. The FAQ isn't posted to the mailing list at
all, only to the newsgroup, but the mailing list maintainer sends the FAQ
as a kind of welcome message to new subscribers.

Or is it a IP volume / phone costs problem for you? I have to admit that
this isn't true in my case, since Taylor UUCP uses full duplex (and I receive
much more stuff than I send), and since I've got an unlimited IP volume
without additional cost anyway.

Maybe it's also that I receive only about 1 or 2 FAQ requests for one
single FAQ per week, not 20-40 per day. But nevertheless you'd have to
kill them somehow.

Wondering,

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2]