Re: Is there a FAQ on how to format postings?

---------

Denis McKeon (galway@chtm.eece.unm.edu)
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 10:47:52 -0700

Chris Lewis writes:
>They should consult the documentation for their system. It's not
>really possible to write a FAQ for FAQ writers that does this justice.
>There's too many different editors, systems, providers etc.

My reading of this is that the original poster was looking for
an FAQ for newbies on how to format *news articles*, not
an FAQ for FAQ writers on how to edit & format FAQs.

Formatting articles is covered in the news.answers.newusers posts,
portions of which can be extracted and sent to newbies by e-mail.
(But gosh, I wish that AOL would use > as a default quote character.)

Otherwise, I agree with Chris - and I think that if someone knows a
topic well enough to write an FAQ, but doesn't know Usenet well enough
to format it, they should find a co-writer to handle the Usenet end.

On the other hand, it seems like Usenet is getting big enough and the
user population is growing fast enough that some folks learn what FAQ
means before they learn to find those of interest among the hundreds of
FAQs that already exist - so they set out to (re) create FAQs on topics
for which FAQs already exist.

(This is similar to the newbie: "Let's have a newsgroup for <topic>,"
where <topic> has existing (and flourishing) groups.)

Sorry, no new constructive suggestion within the Usenet news environment
for either of those problems. (news.*, but how do you bootstrap a newbie?)

--
Denis McKeon
galway@chtm.eece.unm.edu