|I JUST WANT TO THANK THE PERSON WHO STARTED THIS PAGE!!! I HAVE BEEN AT A COMPLETE LOSS FOR INFORMATION REGARDING THIS AFFLICTION! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
I have a message for anyone else wondering what they should do. I urge you to wait before you do anything drastic. If I had taken my vet's initial advice, I would have let my "Beauty Queen", Miss Patches, leave me unnecessarily. She had what appeared to be a stroke. I found her struggling in the hall only a few minutes after I saw her on my bed, when she seemed perfectly fine. I heard a banging on the wall, and when I went to investigate, it appeared that she was trying to unhook her claw from the carpet. When I tried to help her, it was immediately apparent that something was really wrong. I tried to pick her up and she was stiff and rigid. I gently set her down, and she took a few steps then fell. She did not seem to be in pain, but it was heartbreaking to see her so confused. Her head was severely tilted and her eyes were vibrating back and forth, sort of hovering right in the center of the iris. She could not focus on anything. You could tell that her equilibrium was completely off. I rushed her to the ER, and since I assumed she was having a seizure when I found her, they tried treating her with an anti-seizure med. I took her to my vet the next morning, at which time, she did not seem in any pain, although still severely afflicted. She was very affectionate as I held her during the examinations, and wanted to snuggle very close. She even purred a little. The vet could not determine what was wrong, so she recommended a neurologist. But, only after she told me that she realized most people could not afford the tests, and that I should not feel bad if I had to "let her go". Even though I really could not afford it, I decided to take her to the neurologist. A whopping $3500 later they still could not diagnose her. They suggested I take her home and watch her. It took 2-3 weeks before she seemed to make any improvement, but she did slowly start to recover. She was not in any pain, and seemed to be very affectionate. She managed to make it to the litter box, and was eating and drinking on her own. She walked against the walls for at least 3 months, and would not even attempt jumping up on anything. Miraculously, 5 months later, she is much, much better. Her head still has a slight tilt, and she has to go a little slower and concentrate when she jumps up or down from the bed. She even seems a little sweeter than she did before. I can tell you this - EVERY time I see her now, I feel so, so grateful to have her. I am glad that I decided on the tests. Thinking back, it actually bought her the time to show me that she could get better. I really think the vet would have urged me to put her down right away if I had not decided to take her to the neurologist.
This is the really STRANGE thing, which is what has me searching for answers right now: Another one of my cats, Bloo, came home today with the same thing. It does not seem to be nearly as severe, but she has no balance. She has been under the couch for a few hours. As I was writing this, she cried out for me and was trying to stumble to her litter box. I helped her in, she tinkled, and even tried to cover it, but she did a little flip flop so I helped her out and let her go back under the couch. I am going to keep an eye on her, and if she gets worse I will take her to the vet. I have a feeling she won't get worse, judging by the last experience. Miss Patchescondition was severe from the beginning and did not deteriorate with time. I am still paying for the last battery of tests that revealed nothing, so I feel sort of helpless. I hope I can get her to eat and drink.
I'll post an update soon.